Sunday 12 April 2020

Airfix Battles!

Well I was going to continue with  cataloguing my painted Bretonnians but with the Lockdown due to Covid-19 I ordered the Airfix Battles game by Modiphius to deliver some "Homeschooling" history lessons!

The box contains 2 double sided A2 maps and enough card counters to be able to play straight out of the box. The game works by using 'command cards' to issue orders to squads with each player taking turns to activate a squad. You also get 'interrupt' cards which allow you to take actions during the other players turn. Each squad gets a unit card which has all of their information on. It's a really nice game mechanic that works really well and the kids love it as you can use your 1/72 Airfix figures instead of the card counters. Luckily I have quite a few 1/72 WW2 figures from my youth.

We got the box opened and played our first game the day after it arrived. 

Battle between Americans and Germans, 2 infantry squads and a Captain with a veteran squad per side.

You can see the Card counters used for the buildings here, they're based on Airfix kits.


Germans in full retreat!
This is a great game and we thoroughly enjoyed playing it. It's sparked a new interest in wargaming as the games are quick (the above game took around 40 mins to play) and the minis have a massive nostalgia factor especially as many of my WW2 minis are older than me having been passed down from my dad and various uncles and older cousins.

No comments:

Post a Comment