Sunday 21 November 2021

Back to 1944 Again

So last time we looked at the British armour that we've been working on. Today it's the turn of the Panzers.

I've had an old Airfix Tiger kit sat in the gaming shed for pushing on 30 years. I'd lost the tracks years ago but Airfix sent me out a new set so I could complete the kit. and now I've managed to finish building it.

Finally completed after 30yrs of ownership, the tracks aren't quite right as an 11yr old me didn't do a great job of sticking the wheels on straight!

The kit has some faults with parts missing and it's not the most detailed but again the nostalgia kicked in with this and I'm pretty happy with the result so far. I've still got to add decals and I might look at scratch building some of the missing parts such as track guards and exhaust covers but it's fine for gaming with in its current condition.

To support the Tiger I also finished off my other Panzer IV. Again this is an old Airfix kit, at least as old as the Tiger and it was partly built I've just finished it and painted it up.

Here we have both completed Panzer IV's

I love this kit, I don't know why it's no better or worse than any other Airfix kit I've made but it has to be one of my all time favourites. It's probably linked to it being one of my favourite WW2 tanks but also it was one of the first I ever built back in the late 80's. The detail is good and the tanks just look great it's pretty easy to assemble and wouldn't take much work to make it into a fantastic model. As a wargaming piece it's top notch and I don't think I'd ever consider buying a different Panzer IV.

I've also been working on some Panzer Grenadiers to support these panzers and a few of sdkfz's of various types to transport the grenadiers. I was given the Revell version of the old Matchbox Panzer II and I'm looking forward to building that and comparing it to the one I built in the 80's.

No comments:

Post a Comment