Thursday 18 November 2021

Back from the Ashes! and back to 1944

Well it's been quite a while since my last post on here. Life has once again gotten in the way of hobbying  and I haven't achieved an awful lot. What I have managed to achieve is mostly based around my WW2 1/72 scale projects for our Airfix battles wargame.

I've been working on my Wehrmacht armour and my eldest has been working on his British armoured units. First up is a Cromwell from Armour Fast,

The Armourfast Cromwell is on the left with our existing Airfix Cromwell on the right. Obviously there is a difference in scale as the Airfix Cromwell is 1/76 whereas Armourfast is 1/72.

It's not easy to see from these pictures but the Airfix Cromwell has much better detail than the Armourfast one. Considering the Airfix kit is getting on a bit my 8yr old managed to assemble and paint it with no problems.

We still have to paint on unit markings for the Armourfast Cromwell and these will be similar to the Airfix Decals. 

 The Armourfast tanks was very quick and easy to assemble and from a wargaming point of view it's got enough detail to satisfy the kids. Personally I prefer the Airfix kit as the detail is far higher and I really like the 1/76 scale I just think it looks better than 1/72 (probably because that's closer in scale to the model railway we're building in the attic.)

Next up was an Armourfast Sherman Firefly,

We painted the Sherman on the sprueas its easier to get to all of the parts. As you can see there are only a handful of parts to each tank on the Armourfast sprue.

A few minutes later and the Sherman is built, Not the best picture but it's a pretty basic tank. Again like the Cromwell above there's enough detail on here but nothing fantastic.

Next on the list for the British is an Arifix Sherman and it'll be interesting to see how the older 1/76 kit fares compared to this much newer 1/72. It's only fair to point out that you get two tanks in each Armourfast box compared to one in the Airfix boxes but the Airfix models are far more detailed and come with decals. The kids don't seem to mind which ones we use but I get a lot of nostalgia out of the Airfix kits I just wish I could find some of the old Matchbox 1/76 Sdkfz kits!


No comments:

Post a Comment