Wednesday 6 May 2020

Back to 1944 again!

I've been feverishly trying to get a British Infantry platoon painted up for our Airfix Battles games and last night I finally got them varnished. Unfortunately I've ran out of Matt varnish so these guys are a bit old school!

Hopefully after lock down I can resupply.

So here is 1st Platoon, A company, 8th Battalion (West Cumberland) The Border Regiment. (a real regiment but the 8th battalion was disbanded in 1918)
The whole platoon minus their 2" mortar team.


HQ section led by Lt Beattie with Sgt Armstrong as 2iC

In Airfix Battles this is section will consist of an Officer (choice of Lt, Capt or Maj) a sergeant and a squad of veterans
1 section led by Cpl Johnston with LCpl Elliot as 2iC. The section includes a PIAT and a Bren team with the Cpl and LCpl both having sub machine guns. In Airfix Battles this will be a section of Tommies.

Cpl Johnson and LCpl Elliot

1st platoon advance over open ground supported by a Vickers machine gun section. A German MG section lie in wait hidden by the reeds and bushes. ( not sure why the Brits are advancing as though it's WW1!)

For Airfix Battles I need another PIAT for 3 section but the boy wants to paint that along with the 2" mortar team.

The figures are the old ESCI British Infantry now sold by Italeri and they're pretty good. I think the main error is that the PIATs have a bipod whereas in reality it was a monopod underneath. I may change them one day. It's also a shame that there are loads of Thompson sub machine guns and the only Stens are on the wounded figures!

I also want to add a pistol to the PIAT firer as well as a number two carrying the spare rounds.

I'm also planning to add extra ammo pouches to the Bren number 2s so they are more correct. And I might try giving the officers more kit and a Sten sub machine gun.

I've got a Vickers machine gun section and a Signaller with radio still to base up then that's everything in the box painted (except the wounded.)

Oh and here are the completed German MG section




No comments:

Post a Comment